Wilbert “Marty” Martel was born in 1887 in Cape Breton. He held the World Candlepin Bowling Record for a single string of pins at 213, and the record for the three-string total at 496. Martel rolled more 400-plus triples than any other candlepin bowler in history. He operated the best bowling alley in Halifax, and, of course, was the best bowler there.
Martel was not only a great bowler, but a good golfer and hockey player as well. He was short of stature, with a sturdy build that served him well in the sports he participated in. Martel passed away in 1958 and is an Original Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame Inductee.
• World record holder: 3-string total at 496
• Highest 400-plus triples roller, Candlepin bowling
• Operated best bowling alley in Halifax
• Excelled in golf and hockey as well
• World record holder: single string of pins at 213